West Coast Cub Fly-In: The History and Aircraft
Monte Finley and Bruce Fall were avid Cub pilots who wanted a better way for Cub aficionados on the West Coast to connect without making the tedious journey to Lockhaven, Pennsylvania where most Cub planes are built. The two decided to create their own event at the Lompoc Airport for Cub pilots to get together, and the West Coast Cub Fly-In was born.
What is the Fly-In?
Themed ‘Fly Me to the Moon’ this year’s West Coast Cub Fly-In is celebrating its 35th anniversary of the get together as well as the 50th anniversary of the Apollo moon landing as Lompoc has quickly become a hub for space missions.
The free family-friendly event consists of approximately a hundred historic Cub planes that fly into the Lompoc Airport from July 12th-14th. Spectators get an up-close view of the aircraft (some are over 80 years old!), chat with pilots and watch popular flying events like the flour bombing and spot landing competitions!
The event consists mostly of Piper Cub planes and other Cub models, built from the 1930s to present day flown primarily from WW2 and current military veterans.
The planes were created to use as training vessels for pilots during the 1930s through the ’50s and were typically the first planes most people piloted. However, some Cub planes also worked as artillery spotters and air ambulances during the war. Today, the historic planes are cherished classic aircraft from the golden age of aviation.
Things to Know Before You go
- Parking is free but limited, additional parking is still nearby!
- Don’t walk on the runway-instead take the path near H Street to get to the other side of the airport
- Dogs are allowed if they are on a leash, but the weather can be particularly war which can dehydrate your animal and the asphalt can burn or blister their feet. If you need a service animal and the weather is hot put them in booties.
- Come hungry! There is tasty food served up all day!
What to Bring
- Sunscreen and hat-there isn’t much shade!
- A lawn chair
- Cash for food and souvenirs
Make it a Getaway
There are different flying events going on all three days, stay in Lompoc and experience them all! Make your trip the ultimate getaway by visiting the fly-in then spend the rest of the weekend visiting world-class wineries, historic sites and beautiful trails and beaches!