Lompoc is home to many treasures, pleasures, and adventures. There’s a wealth of enjoyable activities and passionate pursuits to be explored in the Lompoc Valley, and near the top of that list is wine tasting.
A visit to the Lompoc Wine Trail is a must for any wine enthusiast. Lompoc is home to some of the finest wineries in the country and is a major player in the California wine industry. The Sta. Rita Hills offers a diverse array of wines, from traditional reds and whites to unique blends and varietals. The wineries in the region specialize in Pinot Noir, Chardonnay, and Syrah. Many of the wineries offer guided tours, tastings, and special events, and are often open for public visits.
In Lompoc, the vine is certainly close to the divine.
Here are five award-winning wines available for your enjoyment during your next visit.
- 2019 The Hilt Estate Chardonnay: Hailing from one of the three vineyards that comprise The Hilt Estate in the Sta. Rita Hills Valley, 2019 The Hilt Estate Chardonnay has been awarded 92 Points by Jeb Dunnuck and 90 Points by Antonio Galloni. This wine was also named 2022 Wine of the Year by industry insider and Jeb Dunnuck blogger R.H. Drexel, who called it “an emotional experience.” Winemaker Matt Dees describes this wine as “lithe and graceful…absolute finesse with a touch of the raw energy from the cold Pacific winds.” Its tantalizing flavor profile includes fresh pineapple and lemon curd with powdered sugar lift.
- 2020 Brewer-Clifton Chardonnay Machado Vineyard: Awarded 97+ Points by Jeb Dunnuck and 96 Points by Vinous, this chardonnay is produced by a partnership with Greg Brewer (Wine Enthusiast’s 2020 Winemaker of the Year) and the Machado family, who also own and operate vineyards in Sta. Rita Hills. This whole-cluster-pressed Chardonnay is produced via sustainable and organic farming and cultivation methods. It boasts a floral-jasmine-lychee aroma and flavor notes of peach, basil, and citrus blossom.
- 2020 Story of Soil Syrah Duvarita Vineyard: Produced by Los Olivos-based Story of Soil, this bold, dry Syrah has been awarded 93 Points by Wine & Spirits Magazine. Story of Soil prides itself on “small production wines crafted with intention,” and its 2020 Syrah Duvarita Vineyard delivers with notes of black raspberry, pepper, and cocoa.
- 2020 Estate Pino Noir Anna’s Block from Melville Winery: Topping Jeb Dunnuck’s Top 100 Wine of 2022 was quite an honor for this Lompoc winery consistently ranks as one of the top in the world. Anna’s Block is created for its namesake vineyard block “planted in 2001 on a gentle southern slope in the northwest portion of the vineyard.” This elegant wine has notes of cooked cranberries and brie rind, with a touch of foraged mushrooms, and is the perfect compliment to baked salmon, smoked trout, and pork tenderloin.
- 2015 Flying Goat Cellars Goat Bubbles Brut Cuvée: A blend of 80% pinot noir and 20% chardonnay, this bold wine won Double Gold in the Sparkling-Methode Champenoise category at the 2019 Central Coast Winery Competition in Paso Robles. It’s also been awarded 92 Points by Wine Enthusiast. It boasts a wealth of awards for your palate, complete with compelling notes of brioche, apple, and citrus. Flying Goat Cellars is a family-owned winery based in Sta. Rita Hills.
Get the Visitors Guide
Lompoc News & Events
Your Insider Guide
Fill in your information below for immediate access to our Visitor Guide, and start exploring Lompoc!
When you download our visitor guide, we will occasionally email you about upcoming events and offers in Lompoc. You can unsubscribe at any time, and we will never sell, trade or give your email to anyone.