Lompoc Museum is celebrating its 50th Anniversary! Exactly 50 years ago, on February 15, 1970, Lompoc Mayor Robert MacClure and Gene Forbes, President of the newly formed Lompoc Museum Associates, opened the Lompoc Museum with a ribbon-cutting ceremony on the front steps of the former Carnegie Library building. We will re-enact this momentous event, reflecting on a half century of LMA programs, exhibits, and events.
In honor of this event and the library origins of the Carnegie building that houses the Lompoc Museum’s permanent collections, we will also dedicate the opening of the Lompoc Museum Little Free Library (LFL). The LFL will be located along the walkway that separates the Lompoc Museum from its Stone Pine Hall facility – the former First Church of Christ Scientist Reading Room. Books are definitely a common theme here!
ADDITIONAL ACTIVITIES AT STONE PINE HALL: Following the opening of the Little Free Library will be a reception, complete with birthday cake and other refreshments. Several display panels recounting 50 years of Lompoc Museum events, exhibits, programs, and people will offer a trip down memory lane. Join us as we celebrate past accomplishments and plan for a bright future!
CLARENCE RUTH: The establishment of the Lompoc Museum was made possible by the generous donation of Clarence Ruth’s large collection of American Indian artifacts to the City of Lompoc. When Mr. Ruth arrived in Lompoc in 1926 to become principal of the Lompoc Elementary School, he already had a sizeable collection of Native American artifacts collected from the eastern US. He continued to add thousands more local artifacts to his collection, eventually building his own private museum next to his home on N. G St. in 1946. Wanting to ensure the collection remained together and viewable by the public for posterity, Mr. Ruth decided to donate his collection to the City of Lompoc to be displayed in the vacated Carnegie Library building, a new library having been built on North Avenue. Additional donations from other local families followed.
Times: 2:00: Re-creation of Opening of Lompoc Museum 50 Years Ago!
2:15: “Mini-Ribbon Cutting” of the Opening of the Lompoc Museum’s Little Free Library
2:30- 4:00: Reception with Birthday cake at Stone Pine Hall